Keladi is a village 7 kms from Sagar in Shimoga district of Karnataka. Keladi was the capital of Keladi Nayakas who rules the areas around Shimoga for nearly two and a half centuries.
Choudappa Nayaka who was the first ruler of Keladi kingdom constructed these Temples. Keladi kings started to rule as a feudatory of Vijayanagar Empire in 1499 AD. Later, when Vijayanagar Empire fell down during the battle of Talikota in 1565 AD, Keladi kings gained independence.
Temple complex looks like a big house from outside. Once entered, the beauty of the stone carvings is amazing. The Temple is built in Hoysala, Dravida, Kadamba and Vijayanagar style. The Temple complex consists of 3 Temples – Rameshwara, Veerabhadreshwara and Parvathi Temples. Overall, Temple is popularly known as Rameshwara Temple.
Gandu berunda (Bird with two heads)
How to reach Keladi:
From BH road bus stop at Sagar, take the road towards Soraba. Shortly after crossing a railway line, there is road towards left that takes to Keladi. Travel for 7 kms to reach Keladi. The Temple complex is at the right side of the road.