As I roamed through Bali with my family, I observed some interesting facts.
- Bali is one of the 17,000+ islands in Indonesia.
- Population of Bali is about four million.
- 1 Indian Rupee ~= 200 Indonedian Rupiah. Hence most transactions are in terms of thousands and lakhs.
- The size of Bali is about 144km from east to west and 80 km south to north.
- It is logically split into the following regions
- South Bali - Most visited area by tourists with great surfing. Important places: Kuta, Nusa Dua, Uluwatu temple, Tanah Lot temple
- Central Bali - Mountain region with lot of arts and Temples. Important places: Ubud, Taman Ayun, Bedugul, Rice terraces
- West Bali - Least visited by tourists.
- North Bali - Famous for black sand beaches like Lovina.
- East Bali - Beautiful coastal villages with active volcano.
- While Indonesia is muslim majority nation, Bali has 90% Hindu population.
- Balinese are extremely religious people.
- Temples are found everywhere in Bali.
- Hinduism followed in Bali is significantly different from India.
- Caste system though present has not created havoc. Inter caste marriage is common and not an issue. Indians still have a long way to go.
- Concept of arranged marriage is not prevalent in Bali.
- Ramayana and Mahabharata are extremely popular in Bali. It is common to see huge statues of events from these epics.
- Bali Hindus believe in one God (Called Achintya). Rest are all incarnations from Achintya.
- Almost all Balinese eat meat.
- Nyepi is a special day in Bali where everyone stays indoors and keep silent for the entire day. Even flights do not land or take off on that day!!
|Ulun Danu Temple at Bali|
Labels: Abroad, Bali, Indonesia