Chennakeshava Temple, Belur

2nd August 2008

Last Saturday, I visited this Temple while returning from Chikmagalur. Though I have been to Belur several times, I never had camera with me.

The construction of the Temple was started by Hoysala King Vishnuvardhana in 1117 AD. Well, there is enough information about Belur in web. So, I will not get into the details of the Temple. The details given to each stone carving is excellent.

Here is the front portion of the Temple.


Manasthamba

Darpana Sundari (beauty with mirror), the most popular Shilabhalika.



Raya Gopura, which was constructed later by Harihara II of Vijayanagar Empire. This has been recently renovated.


A damaged idol

Stone carving depicting that during teenage even donkey looks beautiful!!


An Idol inside the Temple.


More photos of this Temple can be seen here.

Labels: , ,